fbpx

Diving & Fishing

Diving

Socotra has a unique diving spots and calm waters make it an ideal scuba diving location. From coral reefs rich with marine life, to old wrecks perfect for exploring, Socotra has it all. The island and its surroundings are excellent for a serene getaway, as the climate is warm and soothing, and the virgin landscape is breathtaking.

Diving in Socotra can take place any time of the year, but it’s best from September to October, and from March to May, because of the monsoon season. During that period, the visibility is the highest, even though it generally ranges from 10 to 40 meters, making visiting the sites all the more enjoyable.

Socotra has plenty of interesting diving spots, such as the Sunrise Wreck, a sunken vessel that has created an artificial reef in the very center of the bay at a depth of 25-27 meters. A thrilling dive, because it can often have currents, and old fishing nets entangled in the ship’s gear that can offer a danger to the diver, the Sunrise Wreck is a beautiful place. Around February-March the waters are very calm and it’s possible to see tens of species of fish schooling around the wreck.

Best diving sites

  • Dihamri Marine Protected Area that is famous for its variety of fish species and corals, it has five diving spots – the deepest is 50m.
  • Rosh Marine Protected Area is known for a reef that stretches about 1km off the coast, a place where night dives are suitable. The depth is 10-15 meters.
  • Eastern Cape Ras Di Erissel is a place where ships have been colliding with rocks for centuries, and some of the wrecks still haven’t been explored completely.

Fishing

The best seasons for fishing Socotra are Autumn and Spring and fishing on our island is a unique experience. You will find many beautiful spots for fishing, with high cliffs overlooking the sea, or uninhabited islands, which transmit sensations enough to make you think of fishing in prehistoric times. The incredible thing about this island, it is determined that the average size of GT attack the popper has no comparison to the whole world, so that in 90% of the cases we are attached to fish over 40 kg, and in the remaining 10% with fish over 30 kg, enough to embarrass even the most experienced.

This feature is certainly due to several factors: primarily the abundance of forage fish such as rainbow runners and fusiliers, combined with the lack of fishing pressure these waters and strong currents that transport large quantities of nutrients. In addition to the obvious fortunate position, in the middle of the ocean current that comes from the South favoring the upwelling, which brings nutrients in the surface layers. For several months the winds are very violently, causing sea conditions often prohibitive, and thus preventing a continuous fishing by local fishermen, who still do not have huge resources. In practice you can fish well and safe only for a little less than four months a year, from October to November and from March to April.

The most important sportfish is Gt, but in October there is a huge migration of Sailfish and Spanish Mackarell, and a migration of pelagic crab, that floating on the water cause a continues feeding by many kind of trevally such as Golden Trevally, Yellow Spottet Trevally, Bludger Trevally and Black Tip Trevally. Many kind of coral fish are present such as Red Snapper, Green Jobfish, Rusty Jobfish, Coral Trout and different species of grouper and emperor. From shore is possible to find Indian Permit, Bonefish, small Threadfin, Leerfish, Bream, Bluefin Trevally. Shark are olso present but rarely hook on lure, the most catched are Fox Shark on Jigging.